Wyśmierzyce [vɨɕmjɛˈʐɨt͡sɛ] is a town in Białobrzegi County, Masovian Voivodeship, Poland, with 884 inhabitants (2004). As of 2006 it is the smallest town in Poland - by comparison, the largest village in Poland (Kozy), had 11,920 inhabitants (as for 31.12.2008). It lies along National Road Nr. 48, on the right, southern bank of the Pilica. Historically Wyśmierzyce belongs to Lesser Poland, and is located on the border with Mazovia. From its foundation until 1795, the town belonged to Lesser Poland’s Sandomierz Voivodeship. The area of the town is 16,84 km2.
Until late 17th century, the name of the town was spelled Wyszemierzyce (also Vyszemierzice and Wyssemierzyce). The name comes from a male given name Wyszemir. Wyśmierzyce was granted Magdeburg rights on December 12, 1338, and like many other locations in northern Lesser Poland, was stripped of them after January Uprising (1869), by the government of Russian-controlled Congress Poland. In 1378, first Roman Catholic parish was opened here, and in 1657, the town was completely destroyed by the army of Transilvanian prince George II Rakoczi (see Deluge). After the Partitions of Poland, Wyśmierzyce at first belonged to Austria’s West Galicia, and in 1815 it became part of Russian-controlled Congress Poland. The village regained its town charter in 1922, when it belonged to Second Polish Republic’s Kielce Voivodeship.
Coordinates: 51°37′N 20°49′E / 51.617°N 20.817°E