West Herzegovina Canton
|West Herzegovina Canton
Županija Zapadnohercegovačka (hr)
Zapadnohercegovački kanton (bs)
|— Canton —|
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Entity||Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Governmental centre||Široki Brijeg|
|• Head of canton||Zdenko Ćosić (HDZ BiH)|
|• Total||1,362.0 km2 (525.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 estimate)|
|• Density||60/km2 ( 150/sq mi)|
The West Herzegovina Canton, officially the County of West Herzegovina (Croatian: Županija Zapadnohercegovačka) is one of the cantons of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The West Herzegovina Canton is in the Herzegovina region at the southwest of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It's governmental seat is in Široki Brijeg, while other municipalities within the Canton are Grude, Ljubuški and Posušje. The West Herzegovina Canton is one of the most developed and richest cantons. It has 81,414 inhabitants out of which absolute majority are Croats.
The Government of the West Herzegovina Canton is located in Široki Brijeg and has seven ministries:
- Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Ministry of Justice and Administration
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Planning, Construction and Environment
- Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports
- Ministry of Healthcare, Work and Welfare
- Ministry of Veterans
This region, as well as entire West Herzegovina, has been prior the war one of the most poor regions in BiH. However, today is one of the richests. The entrepreneurial spirit is also present in the West Herzegovina Canton which enabled high employment. Majority of entrepreneurs are dealing with catering, nevertheless, significant number of entrepreneurs is involved in a successful production.
Even though is located in small area, the agricultural sector also has great significance in the Canaton's economy. Out of the total Cantonal area, 30,000 ha belongs to the agricultural sector; 84.000 ha is part of the forest land. Around 6,000 ha of arable land is located in the favorable climatic conditions, with an altitude of less than 100 meters. The Canton has particularly strong potentiality for production of vegetables, fruit growing and viticulture. On the area of the Canton there are plants for the processing of meat and milk.
Geography and population
West Herzegovina Canton is located in the Herzegovina region at the southwest of Bosnia and Herzegovina between Čvrsnica mountain at its north to boundary with Croatia at west and south, while the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton is located at its east. Size of the Canton is 1.363 km².
There are three rivers passing the Canton, Lištica, Trebižat and Ričina. The Blidinje Lake is also located in the West Herzegovina Canton. Its highest peak is Pločno on the Čvrsnica mountain, 2,228 metres.
The West Herzegovina Canton has 81,414 inhabitants, per 2011 data. Vaste majority of the population are Croats who compose 98% of the total population. The largest municipality is Široki Brijeg with 26,304 inhabitants, it is followed by Ljubuški with 23,634, Posušje with 15,994 and Grude with 15,428 inhabitants.
According to the 1999 estimation, Široki Brijeg had 29,530 inabitants, of which:
- Croats, 29, 439 (99.69%)
- Serbs, 80 (0.27%)
- others, 11 (0.04%)
On the 1991 census, municipality of Ljubuški had 28,340 inhabitants, of which:
- Croats, 26, 127 (92.19%)
- Muslims, 1,592 (5.61%)
- Yugoslavs, 227 (0.80%)
- Serbs, 65 (0.22)
- others, 92 (0.35%)
According to the 1991 census, municipality of Posušje had 17,134 inhabitants, out of which:
- Croats 16,963 (99.00%)
- Yugoslavs, 26 (0.15%)
- Serbs, 9 (0.05%)
- Muslims, 6 (0.03%)
- others, 130 (0.76%)
According to the 1991 census, municipality of Grude had 16,358 inhabitants, of which:
- Croats, 16, 210 (99.09%)
- Serbs, 9 (0.05%)
- Yugoslavs, 5 (0.03%)
- Muslims, 4 (0.02%)
- others, 130 (0.79%)
According to local laws the official holidays (non-working days) in the county are :
- January 1-New Year
- January 6- Holy Three Kings
- May 1 - Labour day
- May 30- Pan-Croatian statehood day
- August 15 - Assumption of Mary
- November 1- All Saints' Day
- November 2- the day of the dead
- November 18- the foundation of Herzeg Bosnia
- December 25 and 26 - Christmas day and St. Stephen's Day
- Ministry of Economy of the County of West Herzegovina From the Constitution of county: The official name of the county is County of West Herzegovina
- "First release". Federal Office of Statistics, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. June 30, 2011.
- "Ministarstva" (in Croatian). Government of the West Herzegovina Canton. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Bakula: Nemamo izbora - smanjit ćemo plaće
- "Poljoprivreda". Government of the West Herzegovina Canton. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Općenito o Županiji" (in Croatian). Government of the West Herzegovina Canton. Retrieved 16 August 2012.
- "Demografska slika" (in Croatian). Official site of Široki Brijeg. 31 May 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2012.