Truecaller official logo
|Developer(s)||True Software Scandinavia AB|
|Operating systems||Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Series 40, Symbian and Windows Phone|
|Type||Telephone directory, Caller ID, Social integration, Spam blocker, Crowdsourcing|
Truecaller is the world's largest mobile phone community for mobiles, and accessible via a Web site, developed by True Software Scandinavia AB. It finds contact details globally given name or telephone number, and has an integrated caller ID service to achieve call-blocking functionality and social media integration to keep the phonebook up-to-date with pictures and birthdays. The name Truecaller comes from the app being able to show the True name of the Caller. The client is available for Android, BlackBerry OS, iOS, Series 40, Symbian s60, BlackBerry, and Windows Phone.
It was initially launched on Symbian and Microsoft Windows Mobile on 1 July 2009. It was released for Android and Apple iPhone on 23 September 2009, for RIM Blackberry on 27 February 2012, for Windows Phone on 1 March 2012, and for Nokia Series 40 on 3 September 2012.As of September 2012 Truecaller had five million users performing 120 million searches of the telephone number database every month. As of 22 January 2013 Truecaller reached 10 million users.
In February 2014, Truecaller received $18.8 million in funding from Sequoia Capital, Open Ocean, Stefan Lennhammer, and an unnamed private investor. It also announced a partnership with Yelp to use Yelp's API data to help identify business numbers when they call a smartphone.
Features and functionality
The service gains global coverage from its crowd-sourced data, which enables it to work even in countries such as the UK and India where public data is not available. It works like - If you have saved someone's cell no., lets say George, on your phone and you register on Truecaller, the people who have registered on Truecaller but haven't saved George's number can view his name as the way you saved it. The app is available in all countries.
On 18 September 2012 Techcrunch announced that Open Ocean Capital, a venture capital fund led by former MySQL and Nokia executives (including Michael Widenius, founder of MySQL), were investing US$1.3 million in Truecaller to push Truecaller’s global reach. Truecaller said that it intended to use the new funding to expand its footprint in "key markets"—specifically North America, Asia and the Middle East.
In early 2014, Truecaller received a $18.8 million investment led by Sequoia Capital.
Server Security Issues
On 17 July 2013, Truecaller servers were allegedly hacked into by the Syrian Electronic Army. The group claimed on its twitter handle to have recovered 459 GiBs of database, primarily due to an older version of WordPress installation on the servers. On 18 July 2013, Truecaller issued a statement on its blog stating that their website was indeed hacked, but claiming that the attack did not disclose any passwords or credit card information.
Languages and localization
As of 2014 Truecaller is available in +35 languages and locales: English, Tamil, Arabic, Swedish, German, French, Chinese, Swedish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Greek, Swahili, and Turkish
True Software Scandinavia AB won the gold mobile at the annual Swedish mobile awards (Mobilgalan) in November 2011 for Truecaller. Due to privacy laws, Truecaller was previously not available in the United Kingdom, but later became operational there.
- Sredaktion, Dagens P (2012-02-14). "Erövrar världen med 500 miljoner mobilnummer" [Conquer the world with 500 million mobile numbers] (in Swedish). Dagensps.se.
- Rönnklint, Richard (2012-09-04). "Truecaller når 5 miljoner medlemmar" [TrueCaller reaches 5 million members]. Applovin (in Swedish).
- Harald, Patrik (2012-09-19). "Open Ocean investerar i svenska Truecaller" [Open Ocean invests in Swedish TrueCaller] (in Finnish). Forummag.fi.
- Meyer, David (2013-01-22). "Big in India, Swedish phone directory service Truecaller hits 20M user milestone". Gigaom.
- Crook, Jordan (2014-02-06). "Truecaller Lands $18.8M Series B From Sequoia, Partners With Yelp To Verify Business Numbers". Tech Crunch.
- "Swedish Startup Truecaller celebrates 1 Million mobile users". Scandinavian Startups. 2011-03-23.
- Kalle (2011-09-08). "Se vem som ringer med Truecaller" [See who's calling with TrueCaller]. Smartare Vardag [Smarter Living] (in Swedish). Telia.
- Milisic, William (2012-03-01). "Nya versioner av Truecaller ute nu!" [New versions of TrueCaller out now!]. Nyheter om Nokia [News about Nokia] (in Swedish). Nokia Sweden.
- "Truecaller - Android-apps op Google Play". Google. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Truecaller - worldwide number search and spam filter for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad". iTunes App Store. 2012-09-27.
- "Truecaller - See who is calling". OVI Store. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "Search and find people worldwide". Truecaller. 2012-10-01.
- "Investor in Community and Open Source Business". Open Ocean Capital. 2012-09-19.
- Videla, Emanuel (2012-09-19). "Miljonregn över svenska Truecaller" [Millions rain down on Swedish TrueCaller] (in Swedish). IT24/IDG. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Clayton, Nick (2012-09-20). "Truecaller Collects $1.3 Million for Crowd-Sourced Phone Book". Tech Europe - Wall Street Journal.
- Lomas, Natasha (2012-09-18). "Open Ocean Invests $1.3M To Push Crowdsourced Directory Truecaller’s Global Reach". TechCrunch.
- Selvan, Sabari (2013-07-17). "Truecaller Server hacking". eHacking News.
- "Truecaller Statement post hacking". Official blog. Truecaller. 2013-07-18.
- "Guldmobilen Mobilgalan 2011" [Mobile Gold Mobile Awards 2011] (in Swedish). mobil.se. 2011-11-14.
- "Truecaller review". Mobile Entertainment Forum. Retrieved 2012-10-10.