Server-sent events (SSE) is a technology where a browser receives automatic updates from a server via HTTP connection. The Server-Sent Events EventSource API is standardized as part of HTML5 by the W3C.
The WHATWG Web Applications 1.0 proposal included a mechanism to push content to the client. On September 1, 2006, the Opera web browser implemented this new experimental technology in a feature called "Server-Sent Events".
|Mozilla Firefox||Yes||Starting with Firefox 6.0 |
|Google Chrome||Yes||Starting with Chrome 6 |
|Opera||Yes||Starting with Opera 11 |
|Safari||Yes||Starting with Safari 5.0 |
|Microsoft Edge||No||Under consideration |
- jEaSSE - Server-side asynchronous implementation for Java servlets and Vert.x
- EventSource - Server-sent events EventSource implementation in Swift using NSURLSession
- TRVSEventSource - Server-sent events EventSource implementation in Objective-C for iOS and OS X using NSURLSession.
-  - EventSource client library for Python using Requests library.
-  - EventSource client library for Python using Requests or urllib3 library.
- django-sse - HTML5 Server-Sent Events integration for Python/Django.
- flask-sse - A simple Flask extension for HTML5 server-sent events support, powered by Redis.
- sse - Server Sent Events protocol implementation on python2 and python3 in the same codebase.
- event-source-library - Server Sent Events protocol implementation in python2 with Tornado. Client and server implementations.
- SignalR - Transparent implementation for ASP.NET.
- Mojolicious - Perl real-time web framework.
- Hoa\Eventsource - PHP Server-Sent Events implementation.
- sse-stream - Node.js/Browserify Server-Sent Events implementation (client and server).
- total.js - web application framework for node.js - Server-Sent Events example + supports WebSockets (RFC 6455)
- eventsource-node - EventSource client for Node.js
- eventsource EventSource library for Go.
- akka-sse EventSource library for akka-http.
- Lasse EventSource server handler for Erlang's cowboy
- Shotgun EventSource client in Erlang
- Service Stack EventSource library for .Net, with both server and client implementations.
- Server-Sent Events. W3C Recommendation.
- HTML5 Server-push Technologies, Part 1. Introduction into HTML5 Server-push Technologies. Part 1 covers ServerSent Events.
- Using server-sent events. Concise example how to use server-sent events, on the Mozilla Developer Network.
- Django push: Using Server-Sent Events and WebSocket with Django Django push: Using Server-Sent Events and WebSocket with Django.