Nova television (Bulgaria)
|Launched||16 July 1994|
|Network||Nova Broadcasting Group|
|Owned by||Modern Times Group|
|Picture format||16:9 576i (DVB)|
|Audience share||20.11% (February 2015, Nielsen Admosphere)|
|Sister channel(s)||Kino Nova, Nova Sport, Diema, Diema Family, Diema Sport|
|MUX 2||Channel 3|
|Mtel (Bulgaria)||Channel 3|
|NET1 (Bulgaria)||Channel 3|
|Mtel (Bulgaria)||Channel 3|
Nova television (also known as Nova televiziya, NTV, Nova TV or simply NOVA) is the first Bulgarian commercial local television network launched on July 16, 1994. Nova TV, alongside the channels Kino Nova, Nova Sport, Diema, Diema Family and Diema Sport are part of Nova Broadcasting Group and owned by Modern Times Group.
On July 31, 2008 Swedish media conglomerate Modern Times Group bought Nova TV from Antenna Group for €620 million. The deal was completed on October 16, 2008. The television network received a national television license on July 18, 2003, thus becoming the third national television in Bulgaria, after Kanal 1 and bTV, and the second private national media.
Nova Television airs Endemol productions: Big Brother (see Big Brother Bulgaria), Star Academy (see Star Academy Bulgaria), Deal or No Deal, 1 vs. 50, as well as Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? under the name Стани богат (Become Rich). Popular American TV series such as House, Lost, CSI and CSI: Miami, Leverage, Castle, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Sex and the City, Nip/Tuck, The Dead Zone, Star Trek: Enterprise, Prison Break, Ugly Betty, Heroes and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles are also part of Nova Television's programme.
Nova Television also aired "Gospodari na Efira", a Bulgarian licensed version of "Striscia la notizia", the most viewed TV program in Italy, but the show's producers at "Global vision" decided to move it to another big TV network in Bulgaria - bTV. Later in spring 2013 due to major scandal involving bTV Media Group and Global Vision, "Gospodari na efira" returned to Nova. "Complete Madness" was also part of Nova TV's programme schedule, but since it is produced by "Global vision", the show has also been moved to bTV. Nova TV aired two dance reality shows in two consecutive years - "VIP Dance" (Fall 2009) and the charity dance competition "Bailando: Scene of Dreams" in Fall 2010. The outrageous "The Moment of Truth" - BG edition was part of Nova TV's 2009 Fall program schedule as well.
Nova TV's Fall 2011 projects include the hit talent show "X Factor" which starts in September. SevenOne International's show formats - "Beat Your Host" (hosts will be Ivan and Andrey) and "Rent a Host" (hosted by Niki Kuntchev) will air this fall on "Nova", too. Apart from the reality formats, Nova TV will also broadcast its brand new BG series - "Floor Property" ("Etajna sobstvenost") and the document series "Lost in Bulgaria". "Station Nova" will remain the channel's longest running show (in terms of broadcasting hours) - every Sunday from 9:00am until 5.45pm. Fans of the Bulgarian version of "I Love My Country" will also have the opportunity to watch their favorite game show on Fridays.
Nova Television also has a children's block on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 to 10:00 EET. On December 10, 2006 the Sunday block started to show two Warner Bros. cartoon series from 9:00 to 10:00 in The Warner Block (the name is not translated to Bulgarian at the start of the block, but in ads it is known as "Часът на Уорнър", or The Warner Hour). The first two shows to air in it are Tom & Jerry Kids and Superman: The Animated Series (the latter is broadcast for the first time in Bulgaria). In the late 1990s the channel showed the first season of Spider-Man (later to be taken over by bTV) and cartoon series like My Little Pony. Other cartoons include Pokémon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Winx Club,Histeria!, Justice League, Samurai Jack, Teen Titans, X-Men: Evolution, Firehouse Tales and Voltron: The Third Dimension (although the original series aired on Kanal 1), Beast Wars (which aired years earlier on Kanal 1 with different dub), The Spectacular Spider-Man, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet and Transformers Animated (only the third season). Currently the animated series that are being run are The Woody Woodpecker Show, The Little Mermaid, The Penguins of Madagascar and Gormiti.
On 12 September 2011, Nova Television changed its broadcast graphics design, logo and renamed its newscast from "Kalendar" to "Nova's News". Until 6 September Nova showed all its content in 4:3, except some movies which were shown in Letterbox, now it is all shown in 16:9.
- Big Brother - reality show:
- Big Brother 1 (2004-2005)
- Big Brother 2 (2005)
- Vip Brother 1 (2006)
- Big Brother 3 (2006)
- Vip Brother 2 (2007)
- Big Brother 4 (2008)
- Vip Brother 3 (2009)
- Big Brother Family (2010)
- Vip Brother 4 (2012)
- Big Brother All Stars 1 (2012)
- Vip Brother 5 (2013)
- Big Brother All Stars 2 (2013)
- Vip Brother 6 (2014)
- Big Brother All Stars 3 (2014)
- Big Brother 5 (2015)
- Vip Brother 7 (2015)
- Big Brother All Stars 4 (2015)
- Star Academy - talent show
- Dancing Stars - Season 3 (2013), Season 4 (2014)
- X Factor Bulgaria - music show (2011-present)
- Your Face Sounds Familiar - franchise show (2013-present)
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?- game show (2001–2011; 2013)
- Na Kafe - talk show (2000-2005, 2009- present)
- HOT with Veneta Raykova - late night talk show (2004–2014)
- Hotel Bulgaria (Хотел България) (2004) - 250 episodes.
- Morska sol (Морска сол) (in English Sea salt) (2004) - 35 episodes.
- Zabranena Lubov (Забранена любов) (in English Forbidden Love) (2008-2011) - 299 episodes.
- Etazna sobstvenost (Етажна собственост) (in English Condominium) (2011-2013) - 48 episodes comedy about the life in a block of flats and the neighbors.
- Otplata (Отплата) (in English Return) (2012) - 12 episodes
- Zeneni s deca v Bulgaria (Женени с деца в България) (in English Married… with Children in Bulgaria)- remake of the original Married… with Children (2012) - 16 episodes.
- Otkradnat zhivot (Откраднат живот) (in English Stolen life) (2016)