New Hellenic Television
|Launched||February 27, 1966|
|Closed||June 11, 2013 (TV)
November 7, 2013 (Internet)
|Picture format||576i (PAL)
4:3, 16:9 (SDTV)
|Audience share||0.3% (1/7/2013 – July 7, 2013, AGB)|
|Formerly called||TED (1966–1970)
|Sister channel(s)||ERT HD
|DVB-T||ERT B, LCN 02|
New Hellenic Television (Greek: Νέα Ελληνική Τηλεόραση, Nea Elliniki Tileorasi), branded as NET, was the second television network of the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT), the public broadcaster of Greece. It was mainly a news and information channel that broadcast daily newscasts with national and international news, documentaries, talkshows, current affairs programs and also some sporting events. It was originally referred to as ERT2 and ET2 but the name was later changed to NET.
Amid protests of the government's decision to close the public broadcaster, ERT staff continue to operate NET via satellite and internet.
In February 1966, a second channel was created by the Greek military forces in order to let the viewer have a choice. It contained news, sports, fashion, music, drama series and more rarely documentaries, films and children programming. Into the first days of its operation, the democracy changed into dictatorship. When the dictatorship died (1974), military left YENED.
In this decade (1982), YENED renamed as ERT2 and ERT renamed as ERT1. Public broadcasters were the only broadcasters in Greece. ERT2 followed the same programming. In 1987 ERT1 and ERT2 became one company, ERT and the channels rebranded ET-1 and ET-2.
In 1997, ET-2 was restructured as a news and information channel, airing documentaries and sports. It was therefore renamed as NET (Nea Elliniki Tileorasi/New Hellenic Television).
On June 11, 2013, NET was taken off air after the Greek government announced its decision to close ERT. Amid protests, NET continued to be broadcast via the Internet with the help of the European Broadcasting Union until November 7, 2013 when police forces invaded the ERT building and took the programme off.
Current shows include:
- Exandas (Sextant) – Award-winning documentary series, hosted by Yorgos Avgeropoulos.
- Εxi Gousto – airs Monday to Friday at 4:00pm. Daily talk show that deals with all the issues surrounding everyday life. Topics and guests range from a wide variety of areas, from music, to theatre, to film and even authors. A show that informs and entertains, it has been very popular with viewers and is now in its sixth year. Hosted by Bilio Tsokala.
- Menoume Ellada (We live in Greece) – airs Monday to Friday at 2:00pm. Travel magazine that showcases beautiful Greece and all it has to offer. Four teams of reporters scour the country to bring the viewer to various points of interest, from small villages to historical sites and local culture. The show also features live pictures from 40 different locations via webcams and also provides constantly updated weather conditions for various cities and traffic updates from national and regional road-all on the TV screen. Hosted by Giorgos Amyras and Renia Tsitsibikou.
- Proiní Enimérosi (Morning informing) – A morning show with the latest headlines, sports news and scores, a look at the day ahead, weather conditions, entertainment and more, airs Monday to Friday at 6:00am. Hosted by Taki Saranti & Gianni Skalko
- Stin Υgiá Mas (Cheers!) – Variety program that focuses on entertaining viewers with music, featuring live performances by in-studio performers. Now in its third year, Stin Ygiá Mas is three hours of non-stop singing and dancing with the best in Greek music. Hosted by Spiros Papadopoulos, airs Saturdays at 10:00pm.
- Symvéni Tóra (It happens now) – Current affairs program that keep viewers informed of the latest headlines from Greece and around the world. Features live reports from around the country and analysis of issues that affect everyday people, such as economic matters, health concerns and more. Hosted by Fanis Papathanasiou & Maria Alexaki, airs daily at 10:00am.
- Borgen: Synomosies Exousias
- Downton Abbey
- Upstairs and Downstairs
- Parade's End
- Dancing with Jazz
NET airs live coverage of the following sports leagues & events:
- Euroleague Basketball
- UEFA Champions League (Wednesday matches and highlights)
- Eurovision Song Contest
- Mickey Mouse Works
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series
- Pepper Ann
- Darkwing Duck
- Quack Pack
- The Replacements
- Lengend of Tarzan
- Timon & Pumbaa
- Disney Channel Original Movies
- Walt Disney Pictures