Mirny (Russian: Мирный, literally Peaceful) is a Russian (formerly Soviet) science station in Antarctica, located on the Antarctic coast of the Davis Sea in the Australian Antarctic Territory. Named after support vessel Mirny captained by Mikhail Lazarev during the First Russian Antarctic Expedition (led by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen on Vostok).
The station was opened on February 13, 1956 by the 1st Soviet Antarctic Expedition. It was originally used as main base for the Vostok Station located 1,400 km from the coast, this function is now served by Progress Station. In summer, it hosts up to 169 people in 30 buildings, in winter about 60 scientists and technicians. The average temperature at the location is –11°C, and on more than 200 days per year the wind is stronger than 15 m/s, with occasional cyclones.
- AARI Mirny Station page
- Official wesite Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities
- COMNAP Antarctic Facilities Map