Limbury shown within Bedfordshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Bedfordshire and Luton|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
|UK Parliament||Luton North|
At the end of the nineteenth century Limbury was a small hamlet approximately two miles from Luton, near Leagrave, at that time it consisted of just a few cottages and just two farms, today Limbury boasts a population of 7,540.
The first settlement in the area was Waulud's Bank which is a Neolithic D-shaped enclosure located in Leagrave Park at the source of the River Lea and is now a protected monument. Waulud's bank consists of a bank and external ditch of around 7 hectares with a turf riveted chalk & gravel bank (built from the excavated ditch material). The ditch itself is approximately 9 m wide and 2 m deep. Finds at the site have included neolithic Grooved Ware and flint arrow heads. It is a similar site to Durringtom Walls and Marden and the location was later re-used in the Iron Age and again during the Roman occupation.
The Icknield Way, a Roman road passes though Limbury. Local road names give away its location, 'Roman Road' in Leagrave runs from Oakley Road to Marsh Road. On the other side of Marsh Road, the road continues as 'Icknield Road' as it enters Limbury then eventually the road continues on as Icknield Way.
Moated houses still existed in Limbury at the beginning of the 20th century, the Moat House at Biscot is the only one remaining (now a pub/restaurant), the building is reputed to be the oldest secular building in South Bedfordshire. During 2007 the Moat House had the roof rethatched.
The villages of Limbury and Leagrave were formed into the ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, Biscot,in 1866. Then in 1896, under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894, they became separate civil parishes.
In the early part of the 20th Century Luton was rapidly changing from a hat manufacturing town to one relying mainly on engineering. New factories were being built in the town as well as the existing ones expanding, mainly in the motor industry (Vauxhalls opened in 1906). This meant more workers were needed, many of whom were housed in Limbury. Hedges and the rural landscape fast disappeared in Limbury as new housing developments replaced them.
With the increased number of workers a new Baptist Church was built in 1906. The church was built by Mr Arthur Cole who had signed a contract the previous August 1905 with the church that included the line, ‘I…… agree to build a chapel (at Limbury)……and (it) shall be finished in every particular so that the opening services may be held on Good Friday, 1906.’
Limbury ward is represented by Cllr Norris Bullock (Labour and Lord Mayor of Luton) and Cllr Robin Harris (Labour).
The ward forms part of the parliamentary constituency of Luton North, and the MP is Kelvin Hopkins (Labour). Leagrave is within the East of England (European Parliament constituency).
|Accessible open space|
|Museum (free/not free)|
Two weekly newspapers are delivered free to all the houses in Limbury. However they are not specific to Limbury. They are: