Hanyu Da Cidian
The Hanyu Da Cidian (Chinese: 漢語大詞典/汉语大词典; pinyin: Hànyǔ Dà Cídiǎn; literally: "Comprehensive Chinese Word Dictionary") is the most inclusive available Chinese dictionary. Lexicographically comparable to the Oxford English Dictionary, it has diachronic coverage of the Chinese language, and traces usage over three millennia from Chinese classic texts to modern slang. The chief editor Luo Zhufeng 羅竹風 (1911-1996), along with a team of over 300 scholars and lexicographers, started the enormous task of compilation in 1979. Publication of the thirteen volumes began with first volume in 1986 and ended with the appendix and index volume in 1994.
The Hanyu Da Cidian includes over 23,000 head Chinese character entries, defines some 370,000 words, and gives 1,500,000 citations. The head entries, which are collated by a novel 200 radical system, are given in traditional Chinese characters while simplified Chinese characters are noted. Definitions and explanations are in simplified, excepting classical quotations.
Volume 13 has both pinyin and stroke count indexes, plus appendices. A separate index volume (1997) lists 728,000 entries for characters by their position within words and phrases, something like a reverse dictionary. For instance, the Hanyu da cidian enters Daode jing 道德經 under the head character dao; this reverse-index lists it under both de and jing. "Despite the fact that it weighs over 20 kilos and contains a total of 50 million characters spread over 20,000 large double-column pages," says Wilkinson (2000:71), "the Hanyu da cidian is an easy dictionary to use to the full because it is unusually well indexed." It became even easier to use when Victor H. Mair edited a single-sort alphabetically arranged pinyin index (2003).
- 1st edition
- mainland edition (ISBN 7543200112): 12 volumes.
- ?th impression (????-??-??)
- Collector's edition (ISBN 7543200139): Published by Joint Publishing (Hong Kong) Company Limited. 13 volumes.
- ?th impression (1995-11-01)
- Compact edition (ISBN 9787543200142): 3 volumes.
- ?th impression (1997-04)
- Compact edition (漢語大詞典 缩印本) (ISBN 9787532624089): 3 volumes. Published by Shanghai Lexicographical Publishing House. 1 impression, 1 edition.
- ?th impression (2007-12-01)
- Simplified edition (漢語大詞典簡編): Includes over 20000 head characters, 200,000 words.
- 3-volume edition (ISBN 7543203049):
- ?th impression (1999-06-01)
- 2-volume edition (ISBN 7543200155): 1 impression, 1 edition.
- ?th impression (2000-02-01)
Optical disc editions
The abridged CD-ROM version (2.0) contains 18,013 head characters, 336,385 words and phrases (without pinyin), and 861,956 citations. It includes male and female sound files for single-syllable pronunciation, and enables more than 20 search methods. It requires Microsoft Windows, with a Chinese locale setting due to its use of GB 18030.
The 3.0 CD-ROM version was released in 2007. This version includes SecuROM DRM copy protection software in its installation, possibly in response to the earlier version's ISO image being illegally distributed on VeryCD. Due to design errors, the 2007 version of 3.0 is incompatible with Windows 7 OS; rather than release a free software patch to fix the problem, the publisher began selling an otherwise unchanged, full-price Windows 7-compatible version of 3.0 in 2010.
- Traditional Chinese optical disc 2.0 (漢語大詞典 CD-ROM 繁體單機 2.0 版): Includes 18,014 head letters, 336,690 compound words, 23,383 idioms, 504,042 explanations, 861,956 examples, over 230,000 Chinese characters information, 515 black and white pictures, over 20 search methods.
- 50-users edition (ISBN ?)
- ?th impression (2006-01-??)
- Traditional Chinese optical disc 3.0 (《漢語大詞典》光盤): Includes 18,014 head letters, 23,383 idioms, 861,956 examples, over 20 search methods.
- 1-user edition (ISBN 978-9620702778)
- ?th impression (2014-01-??)
Network version is maintained by EWEN? (上海数字世纪网络有限公司).
- 1.0 (《漢語大詞典》1.0網絡版): Includes 15 million characters.
- 2.0 (《漢語大詞典》2.0網絡版): Includes 50 million characters.
- 2.1 (《漢語大詞典》2.1網絡版): Includes ?.
- Dai Kan-Wa jiten
- Han-Han Dae Sajeon
- Hanyu Da Zidian
- Zhongwen Da Cidian
- List of radicals used in the Hanyu Da Cidian
- Hanyu da cidian bianzuanchu 漢語大詞典编纂處 and Zen bunka kenkyūjo 禅文化研究所, eds., 1997. Duo gongneng Hanyu da cidian suoyin 多功能漢語大詞典索引 ("General-purpose index to the Hanyu da cidian"). Shanghai: Hanyu da cidian. ISBN 7-5432-0265-4
- Hargett, James M. 1990. "[Review of] Hanyu dacidian by Luo Zhufeng." Chinese Literature: Essays, Articles, Reviews (CLEAR), Vol. 12, pp. 138–143.
- Luo Zhufeng 羅竹風, chief ed. 1986-1993. Hanyu da cidian ("Comprehensive Dictionary of Chinese"). 13 vols. Shanghai: Cishu chubanshe. ISBN 7-5432-0013-9. CD-ROM ed. ISBN 962-07-0255-7
- Hanyu Da Cidian 3.0 (in Chinese). Hong Kong: Commercial Press. 2007. ISBN 978-962-07-0277-8.
- Mair, Victor H., ed. 2003. An Alphabetical Index to the Hanyu Da Cidian (Hanyu Da Cidian Cimu Yinxu Suoyi). Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press. ISBN 0-8248-2816-X
- Wilkinson, Endymion. 2000. Chinese History: a manual. Revised and enlarged ed. Cambridge: Harvard University Asia Center. ISBN 0-674-00249-0
- EWEN page: Hanyu Da Cidian network edition
- Hanyu Da Cidian Chubanshe: Hanyu Da Cidian
- The Commercial Press (H. K.) Ltd. page: Hanyu Da Cidian