Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Finnish Wikipedia (Suomenkielinen Wikipedia) is the edition of Wikipedia in the Finnish language. By article count, it is the 22th largest Wikipedia with about 411,000 articles as of March 2017. Wikipedia is the only encyclopedia in Finnish which is still updated.
The Finnish language project was started in late 2002, but it remained at a very primitive stage until well into 2003. The speed of development picked up somewhat after the MediaWiki software was upgraded to Phase III in late November, 2003, and continued to increase steadily through 2004.
Despite the small number of native Finnish speakers and the high number of Finnish speakers who are also fluent in English, the Finnish Wikipedia is currently the 20th largest Wikipedia with over 250,000 articles. The ratio of Finnish language Wikipedia articles to the number of Finnish speakers is the 16th-largest at 82.1 articles per 1000 speakers. These figures were based on Ethnologue's estimate of 5,009,390 Finnish-speakers.
In 2013 the reliability of the Finnish Wikipedia was investigated by the newspaper Helsingin Sanomat. The researchers used experts to evaluate quality of randomly selected 134 articles and found that 70% of the articles scored well for accuracy.
- 400,000 articles - August 29, 2016
- 350,000 articles - July 9, 2014
- 300,000 articles - June 26, 2012
- 250,000 articles - September 24 2010
- 200,000 articles - April 12, 2009
- 150,000 articles - February 4, 2008
- 100,000 articles - February 11, 2007
- 50,000 articles - February 21, 2006
- 15,000 articles - February 9, 2005
- 5,000 articles - April, 2004
- 1,000 articles - September, 2002
- "List of Wikipedias". meta.wikimedia.org. Wikimedia Foundation. 5 November 2016. Retrieved 5 November 2016.
- Koistinen, Olavi (December 5, 2013). "World's largest study on Wikipedia: Better than its reputation". Helsingin Sanomat. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- List of Wikipedias by speakers per article
- Koistinen, Olavi (November 30, 2013). "HS selvitti: Näin luotettava Wikipedia on" (in Finnish). Helsingin Sanomat. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Report from the Finnish Wikipedia, from Wikipedia Signpost (in English Wikipedia), 2006-10-23.