Debian bug tracking system
|Original author(s)||Ian Jackson|
|Written in||Perl, others|
|Type||issue tracking system|
|License||GNU General Public License|
The Debian bug tracking system, or Debbugs, is the bug tracking system used by the Debian project. Its unique feature is that it doesn't have any form of web-interface to edit bug reports - all modification is done through email. Debbugs was mainly written by Ian Jackson, former Debian project leader, from January 1998 to December 1998.
It is strongly recommended that people use the reportbug program, when reporting bugs in Debian.
According to Ian Jackson, the Debian Bug tracking system has the following features:
- All input and manipulation of reports is done by email; developers do not need on-line web access or accounts on the host system.
- Outstanding, recently closed and other listings of reports are made available via a webserver, and by an email request bot.
- Each report has a separate e-mail address for submission of additional information.
- Web listings of bugs can be mirrored by e-mail or HTTP.
- Core functions do not require CGI scripts.
The primary deployment of Debbugs is the Debian's main bug tracking system.
As of January 1997, the Debian Project's instance of debbugs had handled 16000 reports over the past 3–4 years, and had a database of 5000 reports totalling 90Mb.
As of 2009, Debian's instance had consisted of a total of 277,741 issues tracked.
As of June 2010, the Debian debbugs instance had handled over 580,000 bug reports.
- "Reporting bugs in Debian". Debian Project. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debbugs/ Ian Jackson about DBTS]
- "Debian bug tracking system". Debian Project. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- Fogel, Karl (2009). "Appendix B: Free Bug Trackers". Producing Open Source Software. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Debian Bug report logs - #580000". Debian Project. 2010-05-02. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "GNU Bug Tracker". GNU Project. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "Using this system to track your project's bugs". GNU Project. Retrieved 2011-09-15.
- "Bug trackers - Debian Bug tracker". Ubuntu. Retrieved 2010-06-07.