|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Running time||24 hours|
|Production company(s)||Cellcast Group|
|Original network||Babestation (Sky ch 906)(Freeview ch 177 (01:00–0600))(Freesat ch 870), Babestation Xtra (Get Lucky TV (Sky ch 908)), Babestation Blue (Lucky Star (Sky ch 909)), Babestation Xtreme (online)
previously Game Network UK, You TV, Game Network Italia
|Original release||3 December 2002 – Present|
Babestation is a British TV sex line which has aired since 2002. The first show of its kind in the UK, it allows viewers to communicate live with female presenters via a premium-rate telephone number or text messaging. It is broadcast daily, and since 2006 has had a dedicated channel on Sky. Its sister stations and websites are of a hard core pornographic nature.
Babestation began in late 2002, as a post-watershed two-hour programme (11pm-1am) on computer game channel Game Network UK. Babestation featured two women taking calls (unheard by the TV audience) whilst the rest of the screen was filled by viewers' text messages and one presenter, who improvised and reacted to the messages. The presenter might alternate between the three women throughout the show.
The programme proved profitable to the channel and Babestation's makers. In time, Babestation was given bigger time-slots, becoming a three- and then four-hour-long show (11pm-3am), increasing the number of presenters to four or five per night, and improving the technology (the director could now put women on 'full-screen', having only been able to show them on one-sixth of it before, and hand-held cameras were introduced, replacing the poorer-quality static remote-controlled ones used originally). Babestation was also sometimes broadcast on the Italian feed of Game Network.
This, along with Game Network's waning commitment to 'video gaming' programmes (as Psychic Interactive was also given a large amount of airtime), caused Game Network to cease to exist in the UK; on 20 February 2006, the channel's name changed to 'Babestation', and on 28 February this channel was moved by Sky to the new "Adult" section of channels. it is also available on Free-to-air channels under the Adult Section.
A new type of show
Babestation was a unique style of TV programme in Britain. Despite not being popular, and having low production values, Babestation produced many clones that can all be seen as originating from its format; see televised sex line.
These programmes all differ slightly in format and explicitness – Babestation generally does not show genitals or sex toys, or contain very strong language; since 2004 camera phone technology has been used to allow viewers to send in pictures of themselves; and the show has always featured adverts for similar services in its commercial breaks. But the idea is the same – live,simulated sex interspersed with unscripted conversation, advertising a premium rate number to phone the girls, which makes it a profitable business.
David Nugus author of a privately published study into TV/phone sex channels (Spring 2013), conducted many interviews with the presenters. He found them to be articulate with considerable personality, a necessity for the success of such channels. 
Masti Chat was a daily block on Babestation which allowed viewers to connect with British Asian girls. It aired from 1pm till 9pm from Monday to Sunday. A night show was broadcast on Babestation2 every so often. Masti Chat was axed in early 2014 and many of the girls left, but some remain on Babestation Daytime.
Dirty Wives was a block on Babestation2, Sky channel 909 that is on once or twice a week in the night hours. This programme features some of the babe channels best mature girls (40+). The show no longer airs on TV or online.
- Babecast (a.k.a. BabeCast XXX) was broadcast since 2003 on Friendly TV, and is owned by the same company as Babestation: it is sometimes filmed in the same studio, and presenters rotate between the two programmes. Friendly TV was originally in the 100-200 channel numbers on Sky, but on 28 February 2006 it moved to ch. 908 (now 907), in the Adult section of channels (like Babestation). This channel has been shut down and merged with Babestation.
- Babestation 2 was broadcast on ch. 909, Get Lucky TV, initially a phone-in quiz/gambling channel, although the channel's name now carries the more sexual meaning of "get lucky" because of its content. Babestation 2 features one or two Babestation presenters; now, instead of dividing up the screen of Babestation, its makers can put women on the extra channel. That channel has since been renamed Babestation Blue.
- Lads Lounge (ch. 906) was a daytime format of Babestation. The program has since been renamed Babestation Daytime and Babestation Daytime Xtra.
- Babestation Xtreme is a subscription website/TV channel (freeview 174) featuring hard core British porn. The program changed its name to Babestation X in 2013, but now goes by the name BSX the current name launched in 2014.
- "Babestation Cams". babestationcams.com. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Alex Boaretto. "BABESTATION ITALIA - Prove tecniche (2005)". altervista.org. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- Extracted from "Interactive TV, the unlikely sexual revolution". David Nugus 2013
- Brooker, Charlie (2 April 2005). "Call collect". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Interactive TV, the unlikely sexual revolution" David Nugus 2013.[full citation needed]